Welcome to Year 5
The adults working in Year 5 are Miss Parkinson, Mrs Stead, Miss Cooper and Mrs Secker.
- Our PE days are currently Tuesdays and Wednesdays; however, we encourage the children to have their PE kits in school every day.
- Strings lessons will take place every Monday morning.
- Children are required to read at least 3 times weekly and have their Reading Records signed on each separate occasion.
- Planners also need to be signed by a parent/carer at the end of each week. Planners and Reading Records need to be handed in by children every Monday morning.
- Homework will generally be set every Friday.
Here is the 2019-2020 Year 5 Curriculum Map:
Making New Materials
The Big Idea:
Every day, we are learning lots of new and different things – gaining the knowledge, skills and
understanding that we will need to become successful adults. By finding out more about how we learn,
and how we can improve our learning, we will be better equipped for meeting the many challenges
ahead of us.
Explaining the theme:
In this unit, we’ll be finding out:
How different people learn
About the importance of practice when learning a skill
How the brain works
How to make connections between our learning
How we can share our learning with others
Why it is important to learn from other children and cultures around the world
How positive thinking can help us to succeed
How to look after our brain
The children were given the challenge to make an origami penguin. However, they weren't given instructions! It was up to them to figure out what to do and was centred around the idea of having a growth mindset. Needless to say, they found it very challenging but they learned that a growth mindset is characterised by the belief that skills and abilities can be developed over time, through dedication and hard work.