Modern Foreign Languages
Statement of Intent
At Hill Top we want our children to celebrate and welcome the differences in our world as we believe learning a foreign language is a necessary part of being a member of a multi-cultural society and provides an opening to other cultures which fosters children's curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. By introducing and exposing our children to this they will have a deepened ability to show respect and play a valuable part in our global society. The teaching should enable children to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and in writing. It should also provide opportunities for them to communicate for practical purposes, learn new ways of thinking and provide the foundation for learning further languages, equipping children to study and work in other countries.
Our aims in teaching a language are:
- To develop an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- To encourage children’s confidence and creative skills through the exploration of another language.
- To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
- To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- To lay the foundations for future language learning.
Our MFL curriculum is designed to develop not only our children’s language skills, but also their love of learning a language. It progressively develops language skills, through regularly taught lessons. This allows the children to acquire new language then use and apply it in a range of different scenarios and topics. Children are encouraged and supported to develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing activities and games. As their confidence and skill grows, children record their work through pictures, captions and sentences.
All children in KS2 will have regular language lessons with their class teacher.