Welcome to Year Two
The staff in Year Two this year are: Miss Monaghan (Mon - Wed), Mrs Butterworth (Thurs and Fri) and Miss Mattinson (Teaching Assistant - all week)
Please check our class page regularly to see what we have been doing in class and for any updates.
Brainwaves - Our first topic in Year Two was Brainwaves.
We learnt about how to keep our brains healthy, how we learn new skills and how important it is to not give up!
Entry Point - We did some brain exercises in the playground to learn about how we keep the brain healthy.
Earth Our Home
All living things – plants, animals and people – have a home or somewhere to live that we call a ‘habitat’. A habitat can be huge like the ocean or small like a leaf. To survive, living things need to live in places that meet their needs. What do living things need to survive? How do different habitats provide for their needs? We will need to be scientists and geographers in order to answer these questions.
In Science, we’ll be learning about:
- What living things need to survive.
- Animal classification.
- Habitats and living things we can find in our local area.
- Different habitats around the world.
- How living things are suited to the habitat in which they live.
- How plants and animals depend on each other.
- What a micro-habitat is and the living things we can find in them.
- The nutrient cycle.
In Geography, we’ll be learning about:
- How we know places and habitats are changing.
- How humans are changing the landscape.
In Design, Technology and Innovation, we’ll be learning about:
- How to make a nesting box for bees.
In International, we’ll be learning about:
- Threats to the world’s habitats.
- How we can help conserve and protect habitats.
In Art, we’ll be learning about:
- Colours and patterns animals use to camouflage themselves.
- Artists who have painted particular landscapes and habitats.
- How to use art to promote awareness of global issues.
Entry Point - We created our own Earth Collages as a team. We looked at real images of the Earth to distinguish between land and water.